And now for something completely different:

I am letting Kelly take over the weblog.  Well, not exactly, but she did a bang up job of updating from our weekend, so I cut and pasted her email here.  I’ll update with pictures when I have some time as I can’t cut and paste those, unfortunately.

 Hi All,

Last year Ryan and I took the girls Spring camping at Snow Canyon in St. George. We had a lot of fun so we decided to make it an annual thing. This time of year it’s beautiful in St. George, the trees have leaves and there are blossoms everywhere!

We left Friday night and stayed in a motel that night. So far so good…

Around 2:30 in the morning Haley wakes up crying, I find out she is super hot to the touch, FEVER!! It was such a short weekend I didn’t bring any medicine or thermometer (I know, I know, I just broke the number one rule of motherhood…never leave the house unprepared!) Well, she ended up falling asleep again and we decided to see how she was in the morning. Of course Ryan and I didn’t get any sleep that night, we were having reoccurring nightmares of our doomed Zion trip last year. Well, lucky for us it wasn’t that bad. We got some medicine for her the next morning and it turned out to be a wonderful day, Haley was the most mellow child EVER! We took it really easy. Ryan and I hit up a Starbucks (very much needed after that night) and took the girls to the park. We visited the Dinosaur Tracks Museum, that was very interesting. Haley loved it. When we arrived a docent (sp?) asked Haley if she would like a dinosaur stamp on her hand. There were several to choose from and instead of just pointing to one, she said “I’ll have the triceratops.” I think the lady was impressed, I sure was! Later that day we went to Snow Canyon and set up camp. Haley even took a nap in the tent! That night Ryan made a camp fire and we all had s’mores. Perfect ending to an almost perfect day!

That night in the tent everything went (as my dad would say) “right rudder”. Morgan came down with a fever and had a lot of trouble sleeping. She insisted that she slept with her face right up against mine which wasn’t cool considering her nose had a constant snot stream (I know, gross). Every time I moved she just moved closer to my face. I included a picture of her before she woke up in the morning. Meanwhile, Ryan got some sort of allergic reaction to something and came down with a terrible rash all over, so he was itching all night and in pure agony. Again, another sleepless night. Haley, however, I think had the most peaceful sleep in her life!

Morning went better. I made bacon and eggs with danishes (the best breakfast ever when you’re camping). Haley was pretty much all better, a little on the mellow side still, but no fever. Morgan was a bit cranky with a fever and very very snotty. She refused to leave my side all day. We took the girls to the sand dunes to play and Ryan tried to fly a kite. The wind was not cooperating but Ryan refused to give up. I have never seen him so determined to achieve something. It was very amusing for me to watch him…a grown man with a cutesy neon kite complete with streamers. Haley soon lost interest in it but Ryan was on a mission! He did finally get it to fly later at a park…good job Ryan!

During the drive home Ryan’s rash came back in full force. Big raised bumps all over. We made an emergency stop in Cedar City to get some cream and Benedryl (sp?). Luckily, that helped and the Benedryl pretty much knocked him out for the majority of the drive. I drove home in a snow storm (I know, it’s almost APRIL!) The girls slept pretty much the entire drive home (much needed I’m sure), it was so peaceful.

Well, there you have it…our very interesting weekend.


6 thoughts on “And now for something completely different:

  1. Yeah, I guess it doesn’t sound so full of awesomeliness, and after the Zion flu experience, I’m sure some readers think we are nuts, but I have good memories from both trips and the girls are still absolutely nuts about camping.
    My rash seems to be subsiding. Lucky too, as that Benedryl stuff totally knocks me out. I was like a zombie all day at work yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s